27 Years of Service
The Foodbank is a charitable organization that receives, inventories, and distributes food and grocery products to charitable agencies that directly help the needy.
Since our inception in 1986, the Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula has distributed over 130.9 million pounds of food to our neighbors in the community. For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2013, the Foodbank distributed 9.9 million pounds of food, the equivalent of 8.2 million meals..
The mission of The Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula is to distribute food effectively through collaborative efforts that minimize hunger, promote nutrition and self-reliance through education.
To inspire hope by leading the effort for a hunger-free and properly-nourished community
1. Ensure future capability to acquire, store and distribute food for those in need within our community.
2. Secure sufficient funding to sustain operations.
3. Recruit, develop and maintain the most qualified and committed people as personnel and board members.
4. Collaborate with agencies and other organizations to provide food for those in need.
5. Educate the community about the problem of hunger, basic nutrition, safe food handling and self-reliance.
The Foodbank encompasses the following cities and counties:
Hampton, Newport News, Gloucester, Mathews, Williamsburg, Poquoson, Surry, James City County, and York